Monday, May 7, 2012

Preterm Labor

On Saturday, April 28th, after a fun night before celebrating Liam's birthday I went into preterm labor. Not my idea of a good day! I went into work, as I do every Saturday now, and as I am working I begin to feel something is just not right! That morning I began to feel a lot of pressure and it just seemed to get worse and worse! Around noon I went to eat lunch with a good friend of mine, Ashley. Walking to meet her I could feel the pressure getting more intense and it began to get harder to walk or even stand. Next thing I know I am having contractions! At first they started out just like normal Braxton Hicks but I was having a lot of them! In 22 minutes I had three of them and I could tell they were beginning to seem more like true labor contractions...getting closer and a little stronger with each one. Being that I carried Liam to 38 weeks I tried to shrug it off thinking it would stop and maybe it wasn't anything but luckily my friend, Ashley, made me call the doctor. She told me to immediately get to Suburban triage and get checked. Yikes! Could this really be happening? I am a day shy of 31 weeks and certainly not ready to deliver this baby! As a NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) nurse I knew that at 30 weeks her lungs were not mature enough and she would spend time in the NICU... I didn't want that. What Mommy does? Every Mommy wants their baby to be born when he/she is full term and healthy and able to go home! I was a wreck! Luckily, my parents were close to the hospital I work at and was able to get me to Suburban rather quickly. Ashley sat with me, keeping me calm, unil the second they arrived to pick me up! I don't know what I would have done without her that day! Thank you Ashley! Damon and Liam met us at the hospital as soon as they could get there. They immediately hooked me up to a monitor and my contractions were very close together at this point....very scary! I was in preterm labor! Ahhh! Luckily, after 2 injections of terbutaline and a dose of procardia they were able to stop my labor! Praise the Lord! He was definitely watching over Ava and I that day! After a while of monitoring they decided they would let me go home on strict bed rest. Once again, praise the Lord! Having a 2 year old at home I certainly didn't want to be admitted into the hospital! They gave me an injection of Betamethasone which would help mature Ava's lungs in case she decided to come early and then sent me on my way. I had to come in the next day to receive another injection of Betamethasone. On top of bed rest I am taking a medication called Procardia every 4 hours which is supposed to help prevent contractions and seeing my doctor weekly. Were hoping to make it to 36 weeks or more! Right now were at 32 weeks and still baking! Prayers please!

** A special thanks to everyone who has visited, brought me goodies to keep busy while on bed rest, brought yummy food, and have continued prayers for our family and the healthy arrival of our sweet baby girl! We are incredibly blessed to have such amazing family and friends to support us and help us through this rough time! We love you all very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment